Width of Disabled Ticket barriers – Kyoto Subway

• Width of Disabled Ticket barriers – Kyoto Subway

Posted by Xanthe Miyako on August 13, 2023 at 6:06 pm

I am waiting to book my flights to Japan for the end of March. A thread on a different board said that the disabled ticket barriers on Kyoto Subway were not very wide, I have tried google search but no luck. I am reticent to book my flights without this knowledge, as I am going to be relying on the subway system to get about.

Does anyone know the width?

Thanks in advance

Josh Grisdale replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 13, 2023 at 6:33 pm

Hello,

I’m not sure the width specifically but from my experience living in Japan, I have had no issues in my Invacare power wheelchair.

I just looked up the guidelines for train stations and they are required to have at least one ticket gate with a width of at least 80cm but recommend it should be 90cm.

Other documents I have seen consider 80cm to be the minimum with for a wheelchair door, so elevators etc will at least be that width.

Regarding the post you saw about them being smaller, perhaps the person was unfamiliar with the accessible gates and assumed all gates were the “normal” size and when you asked about wheelchairs passing through they said it was too narrow?

Stations also often have a gate for moving in carts to refill vending machines that could be opened as well.

Hope that helps!

Skip to content