wifi in tokyo

• wifi in tokyo

Posted by babajan on December 29, 2017 at 4:49 am

I understand that Japan is trying to have more spots available for free wifi. How good is it and where can i get it ? Wondering if it is enough to help with navigation around the city

Accessible Japan replied 6 years ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

December 29, 2017 at 11:52 am

Hello, thanks for your question!

Japan is unfortunately very behind on providing free wifi.  While you may see a wifi mark on restaurants and cafes, this often is just for certain wireless carriers customers only. Not very friendly to foreigners!

Starbucks and 7-11 both offer free wifi but you need to register:

You might also want to check out Tokyo Cheapo’s list of Cafe’s in Tokyo with Free WiFi: https://tokyocheapo.com/business/internet/free-wi-fi-cafes-in-tokyo/

Other options:

Recommendation: Portable WiFi Routers.

They costs about 1,000 yen/day but they make up for the cost because they are connected 24/7 and allows up to 5 (or 10, depending on the model) people to connect at the same time.  So, if you are traveling with a few people it can be less than the coffee at a cafe!

This great video is helpful as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_PcyLFLPPM

Hope this helps!

• Josh Grisdale

December 29, 2017 at 12:00 pm

You can also rent SIM cards, but your phone must be unlocked.  iPhones and some Android phones are locked, so, you should check before you decide to go that route…

• Kamil

December 29, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Hi! I also used the pocket wifi option, which AJ suggested. It’s not free but it’s portable, you have it anywhere and anytime you want and can also connect many people (we were 7), so it’s totally value for money. This is the one we used.

Free wifi we used only in the hotel I think.

• babajan

February 4, 2018 at 2:26 am

thanks for all the info

Going to try the pocket wifi as there are 5 of us Thanks Kamil and AJ

• Accessible Japan

February 4, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Thank you for your follow up!et us know how it worked out for you after you return.

• babajan

April 7, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Meant to update earlier but got back into life at home in a big way and forgot.

Loved having the wifi as we were a group of 5 and it allowed all of us to be on line wherever we were and to connect with those we were meeting up with in various locations.

Also noticed as we were checking out of our hotel that they were going to be offering this to their guests at a lower rate but the sign said that supply was limited. So worth checking your hotel.

I found the Ninja wifi company to be excellent though a bit hard to find in airport – Haneda

• Accessible Japan

April 8, 2018 at 11:50 am

Thanks for the follow-up!  Good to know about the hotel offer and difficulty finding Ninja WiFi’s pick-up location

Skip to content