Share information and ask questions about accessible travel in New Zealand.
Reply To: Advice Pls! NZ Snow/Ski Holiday with CFS tween. Low energy, often in wheelchair
schroth-senseiMemberAugust 24, 2019 at 10:00 am
It is a bit difficult to find a place with all the necessary accommodations you mentioned, nevertheless I believe I have found something that may work.
Cardrona Alpine Resort near Queenstown, New Zealand. Official Website: https://www.cardrona.com/winter
- It is approximately a 1-hour drive from Queenstown Airport
- They have various lodging options, and state that they are a 1-min walk to the ski lifts (more info here: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/mountain/accommodation/)
- Various equipment is available for rent (more info here: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/passes-rentals/rental-equipment/)
- Lodgings do have kitchens, and there are a few dining options in the adjacent main base building, so you don’t have to travel far to eat
- Most of the resort facilities are connected and seem to have covered and/or indoor access that should be wheelchair accessible (see base area map here: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/mountain/maps/)
- The location is away from town, however you may want to avoid booking the busy season
- Accommodations may have multiple levels (it may be best to inquiry directly about lodging)
- It says Wifi is available at the facilities, however I do not know if this includes lodging or public areas (it may be best to inquiry directly)
- TV/video & SKY TV is available, I believe this is Satellite and may be limited
- Private bathroom will depend on lodging selection
- Adaptive skiing is available (booking and more info here: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/learn/adaptive-snow-sports), also they have snow-tubing and I’m thinking if you tie a few together then the whole family, daughter included, may be able to have fun together! (more info: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/passes-rentals/tubing-sightseeing/)
- Kids club available (more info: https://www.cardrona.com/winter/plan/family-ski-holiday)
- I couldn’t find a game room
I believe that covers everything. However, I highly recommend getting in contact with Cardrona directly (their e-mail is: [email protected]) to inquire about the finer details, especially busy season, facility, rooms, & ski accessibility. Also, I’d suggest booking as far out as possible, especially if you wish to book any Adaptive equipment.
Anyway, I hope that helps,