Is Fort Santiago in Manila wheelchair accessible?

• Is Fort Santiago in Manila wheelchair accessible?

Posted by TabiFolk on August 29, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have information on wheelchair accessibility of Fort Santiago in Manila?  Can most places be accessed?  Are there accessible toilets?

Thanks!

azaleeboy replied 4 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • trip-toes

September 1, 2018 at 12:43 pm

Hi Friends!

Somebody’s interest in Fort Santiago accessibility caught my attention. It is among the city of Manila’’s (capital of the Philippines)  primary tourist attractions,  showcasing its actual colonial heritage site. The Fort is specifically located in Manila’s Intramuros district which has more to see aside from Fort Santiago. By the way, it is undergoing rehab work that will open additional historical features, targeted within 2018.

It is accessibility-friendly to persons with mobility limitations. There’s a tour organizer which specializes in Accessible Tourism. Just give me a little time to be in touch with them as I will need to mention them.

Trip-toes

• Josh Grisdale

September 2, 2018 at 9:58 am

That is good to hear @Trip-toes, thank you!  Here is some general information as well: https://www.countryreports.org/travel/Philippines/accessibility.htm

• azaleeboy

September 2, 2018 at 10:11 am

Actually, this website has better info: http://www.accessiblejourneys.com/independent/accessible-philippines-vacations.htm

Though it may be a bit out dated

• Unknown Member

June 14, 2019 at 2:22 am

The tour to the walled city is interesting. Very different from the rest of the city, I found though.

• Vir

August 5, 2019 at 5:45 pm

I was there a long time ago when i was not yet mobility scooter bound. The place is an old ruin dating back to the Spanish era, which was 400 years of colonization of Spain in the Philippines. The place has many steps which prevent much “rolling” around. But Pinoys (locals), known much for their happy, friendly and helpful demeanor, are more than glad to assist persons with disabilities. These are what many call part of the adventure when locals join in and are happy to extend a hand.

• Vir

August 5, 2019 at 6:02 pm

The Philippines like many other developing countries in the world is still far from comprehensively embracing accessibility and into becoming barrier free environment. Although there are already Accessibility Laws in place, implementation is sadly still lagging behind. But do not get deterred by these. Many interesting places abound and await your visit.

Manila and nearby surrounds particularly Makati, the premier financial center, as well as Taguig, Pasig and Mandaluyong, all nearby cities have sprawling new buildings and commercial complexes (which are among the best in the planet) which are highly accessible. There will surely be lots to places to wander around.

The BGC (Bonifacio Global City) which has been the subject of many blogs and videos at YouTube, is certainly a place to visit and enjoy.

• azaleeboy

August 5, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Cool, thanks for the advice!

Skip to content