Poland: Krakow-Wieliczka Question

• Poland: Krakow-Wieliczka Question

Posted by maria on October 14, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Hello,

I will soon travel to Krakow (Poland), and I was thinking to visit the salt mines of Wieliczka. Therefore, I am searching for possible ways to get there, from the city of Krakow. And as the taxi seems a quite expensive option, I was wondering if anyone knows if there are trains or buses (wheelchair accessibles) that I could use.

Unknown Member replied 5 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • TabiFolk

Organizer
    October 15, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Hello,

According to the salt mine website (https://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/visiting/tourist-route/visitor-s-guide/how-to-get-to-the-mine), you can go from Krakow to Wieliczka via the Koleje Małopolskie train. From Wieliczka Rynek Kopalnia train station it is only 500-600 meters to the salt mine.

The Koleje Małopolskie website says that

“We offer the places for transportation of persons on wheelchair.”

Though, you might want to contact them first: [email protected]

There is also a bus, but the website never mentions wheelchairs (when translated by Google Translate!): http://www.kkm.krakow.pl/pl/kontakt/document,63.html

By the way, the salt mine website says:

Is it possible for persons on wheel chairs to visit the mine?

The most marvellous section of the Tourist Route is adapted for persons on standard wheelchairs measuring 59 centimetres in width who enter the mine in an elevator. Persons on wheelchairs or with mobility problems should make earlier bookings. Please contact the Tourist Traffic Office or fill out the on-line contact form. Tours for tourists who are unable to move without assistance are organised all year round at 9.00 am, 12:45 pm and 5.00 pm.

If someone has visited in a wheelchair, maybe they can add information below?

• maria

October 16, 2017 at 3:01 am

Thank you for all the information! 🙂 I have contacted them (the salt mine) about that, and while they did answer my questions concerning the accessibilty, they did not answer to me about the train, so I couldn’t know. But, as you suggested, I will send an e-mail to the train company as well. Thanks 🙂

• maria

November 12, 2017 at 1:29 am

Hello again!

I did visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine, and I thought to share how I made it there in the end! I used a normal bus (nr. 304), from Krakow to Wieliczka. The buses in Krakow are quite new, and have a manual ramp which is easy to use. Just ask the driver to come and open it (it is “klapa” in Polish btw), and you are ok. The station is “Wieliczka Kopalnia soli”, and it is just some meters away from the Mine’s main entrance.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    November 12, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for getting back to everyone!

That is so great to know!  Hopefully other people will find this information useful in the future.

• Unknown Member

June 11, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Kraków is a southern Poland city and it is situated near the border of Czech Republic. It is known for its well-preserved medieval core and Jewish quarter. During your visit you can explore Historic Old Town, Krakow Pinball Museum, Stained Glass Museum and Polish Aviation Museum etc.

Skip to content