Reply To: Barcelona, Spain

• wheeltravel

September 6, 2018 at 11:33 am

We recently stayed in Barcelona after cruising from Venice. We found the city very easy to negotiate with a wheelchair; using mostly the buses and metro. We purchased a T10 ticket at the Place Espanya station, unfortunately that station is one of a few that do not have a raised platform enabling wheelchair uses to enter the train. However, it is only a short walk to Tarragona or Poble Sec stations which are accessible. We stayed at the Ayre Hotel just off the square on Gran Via Corts Catalanes, which has a wheelchair accessible room with a roll in shower. The hotel was very convenient to catch the wheelchair accessible aerobus to the airport.

We visited Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell, prebooking for both is necessary but Sagrada Familia allows you to book a free disabled ticket and I contacted Parc Guell via their facebook page and was sent the link to book their free disabled tickets, plus they also sent me directions to get to Parc Guell by public transport, avoiding pushing a wheelchair up the hill. As a carer I was either free or entry was at a greatly reduced rate to both places. We also were able to gain free entry to Casa Mila, and although my husband could view all the apartment using a lift and their narrow wheelchair, he could only get to the entrance to the roof.

We also were able to visit Castell Montjuic travelling via metro, the funicular and the gondola. It was great to be able to view the whole of Barcelona from the top of the castle and visit the many exhibits in the castle documenting the history of Barcelona.

We found Barcelona a great city to visit, the people were very helpful and the transport systems were brilliant.

Skip to content