Accessible Hotel in the South of Tenerife

• Accessible Hotel in the South of Tenerife

Posted by Joan Pahisa on January 25, 2023 at 7:53 am

Hi everyone,

If any of you are looking for an accessible place in the South of Tenerife, there’s a great hotel where not one, not two, not three, but all rooms are wheelchair accessible with roll-in showers. Most of them also have a raised toilet with grab bars and space available on both sides for transfer. Nevertheless, what sets the hotel apart, in my opinion, it’s the accessible heated (~32ºC) outdoor swimming pool with two different kinds of hoists to get in the water. The pool is only 1.3m deep, with shallower areas too, so it’s great to relax, rehab, etc., but it’s also good to swim.

Anyway, the hotel is called Spa & Sport Hotel Mar y Sol (https://www.marysol.org/?lang=en) and, as its name suggests, it’s got services typically offered in spa, such as, massages and the likes, but it also has a sports venue with an indoor multi-purpose court for basketball, wheelchair rugby, badminton, table tennis, boccia, etc. with the necessary material to practice these sports. It’s a really cool place.

I stayed there for a week and will definitely come back. The staff was really friendly and knowledgeable about the needs of people with disabilities (I’d say about half of the guests were wheelchair users or had reduced mobility) and food was really nice, both for buffet style meals included in some packages and in the cafeteria, available all day long (can’t vouch for later than midnight, though).

All in all, a great place near the sea. There are also accessible beaches in the area (Playa de los Cristianos and Playa de las Vistas), although there’s a downhill street to get to the sea front, so I’d recommend some kind of scooter, power assist or electric wheelchair (if you don’t bring yours, just next to the hotel, there’s a place called Lero, that works with hotel guests, where you can rent scooters and other assistive equipment).

Accessibility is also good in the area. As the weather is really nice all year long (in the South of Tenerife, while I was there in January, temperatures were between 17ºC and 25ºC during the night and day), it’s a great destination for people with disabilities or bone ailments, so in turn the municipality put the focus on making the city more accessible.

Anyway, I really recommend it for anyone that wants to spend a nice, relaxing vacation. If you want to visit the rest of the island, they also offer tours with accessible vans.

Here are some pics of my stay: me at the heated pool, the view from the accessible area in Playa de las Vistas and a view of the hotel complex from one of its outdoor corridors.

Feel free to ask if you’ve got any questions.

Save travels!

Joan Pahisa replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • TabiFolk

Organizer
    January 25, 2023 at 4:50 pm

That looks amazing!

What is transportation like to get from the airport to the hotel?

• Joan Pahisa

January 25, 2023 at 5:19 pm

They also offer an airport pickup service with an accessible van. I don’t know how much it costs, though. There are two airports in the island. The one in the North is further away. Around 1 hour by car. The one in the South is about 20 minutes away.

In the island, there are a few taxi companies with adapted cars and there are also some intercity accessible buses (line 111 goes from the Southern airport to Los Cristianos -where the hotel is- and some of the buses are wheelchair accessible, though not all).

There is also a company that rents accessible cars and some private transport companies with accessible vans (one is located at the hotel and is the one that offers the aforementioned pickup service).

Here’s a link in English of accessible transportation resources on the island: https://www.wonderfultenerife.com/en/article/show/3440/02-transporte-adaptado

Skip to content