Is it possible to visit Phi Phi Island in a wheelchair

• Is it possible to visit Phi Phi Island in a wheelchair

Posted by Josh Grisdale on November 13, 2018 at 1:49 pm

Hi,

I understand that the only way to get to the island is by boat… are there any that are accessible?  Is there a beach chair available?

Thanks!

devindkcreative replied 4 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • thaihandicap

November 14, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Hi,
    the island is closed in this moment for its protection.
    The arrival of thousands of tourists by boat in this closed bay is a disaster for the local ecosystem.

In any case, nothing is planned for people in wheelchairs.

For more informations http://www.livingit.euronews.com/2018/10/25/the-beach-is-closed

• devindkcreative

June 17, 2019 at 8:32 am

I visited this island 3 years ago. It wouldn’t be wheelchair friendly. You would have to take a boat to the island but there are no wheelchair paths leading to and past the beach.

Also due to the tourism which I was apart of but thousands upon thousands would go per year, they shut the beach down until the ecosystem gets rebalanced. Because of the low taxes, Thailand runs of tourism but the reputation is “No Rules” and not clean which brings unwanted tourists that go to party hard.

If you do stay in Ko Phi Phi then it’s split two ways. On the north side of the island, there is beautiful water and it’s for more families or higher end hotels. On the south side, it’s all partying. Kind of like a half-full moon party with pubs and bars. If you are looking for a hotel/Airbnb on the north end then it is safe and relaxing.

• Josh Grisdale

November 14, 2018 at 7:47 pm

That is too bad, but thank you for your answer

• Tirthankar

February 28, 2019 at 1:01 am

Is it still closed?

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    February 28, 2019 at 1:37 pm
  • Unknown Member

June 15, 2019 at 1:56 am

Searched and seems like Thailand intends to keep Maya Bay closed to tourists until the first half of 2021. Wow.

Also, didn’t know it was “The Beach” in the movie starring Leo DiCaprio.

Skip to content