Getting between islands in Hawaii in a wheelchair

• Getting between islands in Hawaii in a wheelchair

Posted by Josh Grisdale on October 21, 2020 at 10:04 am

Hi there,

How do you get between islands in Hawaii in general? Is it only by airplane, or are there boats as well?

More specifically, if you are a power wheelchair user, are there any issues with traveling between the islands?

For example, I live in Japan and many of the domestic flights less than 1 hour are in small planes (50-100 seats) and this requires reclining my power wheelchair to fit in storage, or putting it on its side… I assume with the various islands being so close, the airplanes are not very big and this would be required as well?

Josh Grisdale replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • bruceofmaui

October 22, 2020 at 11:01 am

Inter-island travel is by plane and is run like a bus system with flights being run almost every hour. The planes flown by Hawaiian Airways are 737s so smaller than the big jets making power wheelchairs need to be tipped to get into the belly of the planes. Most flights hub through Oahu so if you want to go from Maui to the Big Island you’d hub through Oahu. This is the case except for the first and last flights of the day where you can fly directly to and from the Big Island and Maui. I think Kauai only connects with Oahu. With Covid downsizing many airlines you’d better check yourself things might have changed. Staff helping with transfers are friendly but might not be too trained in assisting the disabled so you must take control and coach them in how to help you. Aloha Bruce

• Josh Grisdale

October 22, 2020 at 5:24 pm

Thank you very much!

I’m always nervous about putting my wheelchair on its side, but I guess there is no other choice.

I’m surprised there aren’t more boats though.

Skip to content