Wheelchair access to Helicopter

• Wheelchair access to Helicopter

Posted by glorialc on June 12, 2019 at 2:08 am

I was asked about the access provided by Blue Hawaiian Helicopters  This is what they used in Hilo and I would assume that it is the same whereveIMG_1859r they operate.  On this picture you see the lift on the left side of the picture.  I rode my powerchair along side their lift, slid over onto that (blue)seat .  Then the seat rode up to the door of the chopper where I, again, slid over onto the seat inside.  After the flight, we just reversed the steps

bruceofmaui replied 3 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • mrtiesto

June 12, 2019 at 11:36 am

That is such a great idea!  Thank you for sharing!

I’d love to visit Hawaii… if you have any other suggestions, please add them!

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    October 19, 2020 at 5:30 pm

It looks like Sineshine Helicopters has the same thing. I wonder if this is proof that accessibility is good for business! ?

https://www.sunshinehelicopters.com/

• bruceofmaui

October 21, 2020 at 7:29 am

Helicopter Ride We recommend going on a helicopter ride in the beginning of your vacation as it gives you a good overview of the island. We suggest taking the half island tour of East Maui that lasts approximately 45 minutes. This tour includes the stark moon-like surface of Haleakala Crater as well as the O’heo Gulch (better known as Seven Sacred Pools), lush Hana rain forest, and cascading waterfalls. There is a full island tour available, but we feel you get a better deal with this half island tour. We think that just the helicopter ride itself is a terrific rush. Sunshine Helicopters has a lift to get you inside the helicopter.

• Josh Grisdale

October 21, 2020 at 9:55 am

Does the seat going up the rails attach to the helicopter itself, or do you ride it up and then transfer to a regular helicopter seat?

• bruceofmaui

October 21, 2020 at 10:14 am

The seat is part of the lift system so you transfer onto to the seat, then go up to the top and then transfer into the helicopter seat. Because of regulations the disabled person must sit in the back middle seat as you aren’t allowed to be next to the doors as they reconsidered emergengency exits. Sitting in the back doesn’t diminish the quality of flight. Great adventure to see the island. Aloha Bruce

• Gloria

October 22, 2020 at 6:25 pm

I don’t recall having to sit in the back in the Blue Hawaiian helicopter we took, but I did have to slide over from the lift chair to the helicopter chair when boarding.

• bruceofmaui

October 25, 2020 at 2:48 am

I understand that similar to airlines a disabled person isn’t allowed to be next to an emergency exit or at least that is how it was explained to me. Aloha Bruce

Skip to content