Accessible toilets in Belgium

• Accessible toilets in Belgium

Posted by Josh Grisdale on March 19, 2023 at 9:12 pm

I was recently reading about accessible toilets needing keys to get in. What is the situation like in Belgium?

For example they have the RADAR Key in the UK to ensure only people who actually need the wheelchair toilet can get in – but that is a huge barrier for people temporarily visiting on vacation… last thing I want to worry about when I arrive at my destination is trying to find a place to buy one!

Eleonora replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Joan Pahisa

March 20, 2023 at 8:45 am

In Spain some accessible toilets in public buildings or restaurants have keys to get in, but it’s a regular key that you have to ask the staff for. I don’t like the solution either as sometimes you don’t find the person in charge or sometimes they don’t find the key as they never use it. Sometimes, you may also find that the toilet has been turned into the storage room and it’s impossible to get in… I’d say that this used to be more common a few years ago as newer accessible toilets don’t tend to require any key to get in.

The UK key that you talk about reminds me of traffic lights in Barcelona that you need a specific remote control to activate its acoustic signals, so not really convenient for blind people that come as visitors or tourists.

I don’t know how’s the toilet situation in Belgium, though.

• Eleonora

Organizer
    March 20, 2023 at 10:00 pm

The situation for toilets in Belgium is so tragic it deserves a full post – I’ll give you a good description in the next days!!!

• Josh Grisdale

March 20, 2023 at 10:23 pm

Yikes! Looking forward to it… I think(?)

• Eleonora

Organizer
      March 20, 2023 at 10:55 pm

Skip to content