Brussels, Belgium

• Josh Grisdale

August 14, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Very sly, but it worked – I’m hooked!

• weekender

August 18, 2018 at 5:05 am

The final part of my Brussels trip trilogy of blogs, a write up of the weekend, has now been published. 🙂

https://www.weekender.blog/2018/08/17/a-weekend-in-brussels/

• Josh Grisdale

August 18, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Another great post!

About Grand Place, was there an accessible toilet?  What was the cobblestone like in a wheelchair?  Really bumpy?

• weekender

August 18, 2018 at 7:47 pm

I didn’t find the cobblestones too bad.

Ah, accessible toilet, I forgot to mention in my blog that I didn’t find a single accessible toilet all day whilst I was out! The only ones I found in Brussels were in my hotel room and at the railway station. :/

At the toilets in the railway station for the able-bodied toilets you had to purchase a ticket (€1?) which you used to get through a turnstile, for the disabled one there was a button by the door to press and someone would come to open it. (When I needed it someone with the key happened to be walking by so I don’t know what the wait is like.)

• pieterghijsels

August 20, 2018 at 5:49 pm

FYI, visitors to Brussels can use the accessible toilet at the VisitFlanders visitors centre. Grasmarkt 61, very near Grand Place and Central Station.

There’s also a useful website about Brussels: https://handy.brussels.

• pieterghijsels

August 20, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Good to hear that you plan to visit Antwerp (and maybe some other Flemish cities, too?). Please let me know if I can help with anything. I work for Visit Flanders

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    August 20, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for the great info!

• weekender

August 21, 2018 at 11:18 pm

I think I visited the ‘Visit Flanders Visitors Centre’ but did not notice they had accessible toilet.

Is it the place just around the corner from The Sister bar?

I hope next year to visit Antwerp for the zoo, and maybe Plankaendaal too. I also have a Turkish friend who lives in Ghent. 🙂

• pieterghijsels

August 21, 2018 at 11:38 pm

That’s the place, indeed. I agree that it should be indicated better.

Antwerp, Mechelen (Planckendael) and Ghent: sounds like a great tour! Keep me posted, here or on accessible-at-visitflanders.com.

• Melanie

November 3, 2018 at 9:47 pm

Hey there!

I would also like to contribute with a list of 6 Wheelchair Accessible Things to Do in Brussels. After participating in the Destinations for All World Summit on Accessible Tourism I had the chance to do an accessible guided tour around Brussels.

It is definitely true that the accessibility is far from perfect, but still, there are some quite nice things to do in Europe’s capital city.

http://littlemissturtle.com/wheelchair-accessible-sights-brussels/

Page 2 of 4

Skip to content