Disability ID in Canada

• Disability ID in Canada

Posted by Josh Grisdale on April 27, 2018 at 2:57 pm

Hello,

I live in Japan and we have special disability ID booklets/passports that we can show at museums, attractions, theaters etc to get a discount.  I was talking with a friend about how they don’t have such IDs in Canada  (where I’m from) and because of that if someone in a wheelchair from Canada visits Japan, they cannot get a discount because they don’t have an ID – even though they are obviously disabled!

But I left Canada 10 years ago now!  Do they have IDs now?  If not, how does someone with an invisible disability prove they are disabled to get a discount?

Thanks!

Josh Grisdale replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • tabifolk

Organizer
    May 2, 2018 at 10:47 am

Hi,

We did some asking around and there doesn’t seem to be anything official from the government.  The closest we could find was this:

https://easterseals.ca/english/access-2-card-program/

ABOUT THE ACCESS 2 CARD PROGRAM

The award-winning Access 2 Program is a collaborative partnership between Easter Seals and over 500 movie theatres, cultural attractions, entertainment venues, and recreation facilities across Canada. Designed for people of all ages who have a permanent disability and require the assistance of a support person, the goal of the Access 2 Program is to improve social inclusion and provide access to entertainment, cultural and recreation opportunities and experiences without any added financial burden.

When an Access 2 cardholder (the individual with the permanent disability) presents their valid Access 2 Card at any participating venue partner, their support person receives free admission; the cardholder pays regular admission.

Since launching in 2004, the Access 2 Program has emerged as a national leader in promoting and celebrating social inclusion and opportunities for active social participation amongst the disability community in Canada. Just as important, the Access 2 Program has also been at the forefront of raising awareness about the importance of accessible spaces, equal opportunity, and working collaboratively to create a more inclusive, more accessible Canada.

An interesting program, but not likely useful for anyone just visiting.

• Josh Grisdale

May 2, 2018 at 11:28 am

That is too bad but thank you

Skip to content