airline bladder relief

• airline bladder relief

Posted by dgrengineer on July 24, 2018 at 3:09 am

I no longer travel for work as it would be unsafe for me, in a power chair, to be on most construction sites.  I’m a controls engineer.

However, I have been asked to travel for training purposes.

i have been reading the posts of some very adventurous people but I have an eye on the details.

I’m sorry if this is indelicate, but how does one empty ones bladder on a 12 hour flight?  Is there special equipment one wears?  I didn’t fit into an airline toilet when I was an able bodied person, I’m certainly not going to fit into one with a power chair.

Thanks!

Nomad Traveler replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

July 24, 2018 at 10:12 am

Hello!

I have been on 13+ hour flights between Canada and Japan many times – not fun, but it can be done.

First off, on long-haul flights there are now “accessible washrooms”.  Of course, they are not completely accessible, but they are about 2.5x the size of a regular airplane toilet. I used one earlier this year and I fit in with my personal care attendant.  The airplane has an aisle wheelchair that you can use to get to the toilet.  So, actually, the toilet fit me, my carer, and the small wheelchair.  Just note that it can take some time for the staff to get and assemble the wheelchair – so don’t leave it to the last minute!

Other people use catheters that strap to the leg.  Though, it can take time to get used to peeing when you aren’t on the toilet, so you may want to try it out a few times first!

Finally, my usual method (which you should ignore because it isn’t very safe/healthy!) is to avoid drinking a number of hours before the flight and to take a sleeping pill.  For the most part it works well.

Hope some of that was helpful!

• Josh Grisdale

October 3, 2018 at 4:11 pm

@dgrengineer how did things work out?

• Unknown Member

June 10, 2019 at 6:05 pm

I used not to drink to lessen trips to the restroom, but of course 12 hours without water (and while on the air) will leave me parched. It took me time to get used to the idea of a catheter, but eventually I was eased into it because going to the toilet is one less thing to worry about.

• azaleeboy

June 10, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Many airplanes now have bigger bathrooms for the onboard wheelchair.  Have you tried them?

• Nomad Traveler

July 16, 2022 at 11:30 pm

First of all it is not at all indecent to ask this question as it is genuinely a problem for lot of people. My Dad being in his late 80’s really struggles with this situation on a flight and he has opted for catheters that gets tied to his leg.But that’s because of his age factor as well.For him that is the most convienent way to address the nature’s call.

Skip to content