Student designing postural support device for flights – your experiences

• Student designing postural support device for flights – your experiences

Posted by Sophia on September 14, 2020 at 7:08 am

Hi!

I am currently an engineering student and my group is designing a postural support device for individuals with disabilities. I have read many posts on this forum and seen that there aren’t many products/devices on the market currently specifically for this issue. From what I can tell, flying is a rather uncomfortable experience and we want to change that.

If you have experience flying (or accompanying someone) with disabilities, and want to share your experiences so that we can design the best device possible, please fill out this survey: https://forms.gle/dw4S4PW9RVEZnw6p7

It is optional if you would like to be anonymous. Any responses would be greatly appreciated, and if you would like to reach out to me personally and share your story I would love to hear it!

Thank you so much!

Nomad Traveler replied 1 year, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

September 14, 2020 at 10:49 am

Thank you for looking into this! I just filled out the survey.

For me, the biggest discomforts are:

• the seat is too reclined (like to sit at 90 degrees, but seems airlines are more like 80-85)
    • would like a footrest
    • I cannot get up and move around, so mu bum gets sore on long flights…
  • Nomad Traveler

July 16, 2022 at 10:49 pm

Second Josh on all the points mentioned apart from that my Dad is always complaining about the neck being cramped as the seats are reclined to a great extent which is not even required for so many cases.

• Josh Grisdale

July 16, 2022 at 10:52 pm

I guess the best option is to have seats that are adjustable to any degree to meet a variety of needs!

• Nomad Traveler

July 16, 2022 at 10:53 pm

Definitely

Skip to content