Wheelchair assistance when connecting between different airlines

• Wheelchair assistance when connecting between different airlines

Posted by Josh Grisdale on October 30, 2020 at 2:39 pm

In the US if you have a connecting flight that uses two different airlines and are a wheelchair user, the airline you use first is responsible to get you to the second flight – even if it is a different company.

This is based on a US law (The Air Carrier Access Act), so it should be fine in the US. Are there similar requirements in other countries? Have you had any experience with changing airline mid-journey?

Nomad Traveler replied 1 year, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • maria

July 4, 2022 at 3:06 am

Hello,

Well, I am not sure how much that works in the US. When I recently traveled through Philadelphia, I cannot really say that someone took me from one flight to the next. And it was two flights operated by the same airline 😅 .

• Josh Grisdale

July 4, 2022 at 9:01 am

So, they helped you off the flight and then you had to find your way to the next flight by yourself?

• maria

July 4, 2022 at 5:42 pm

😅 They hardly helped me get out of the plane!

Well, actually, I did protest that they did not bring my wheelchair etc., and then their supervisors came and in the end they took me until the customs, but still I had to find the next flight by myself. And they only took me that far because they did really bad job before, when they took me out of the plane.

• Josh Grisdale

July 5, 2022 at 12:14 pm

Is that typical, or was this an exception?

• maria

July 5, 2022 at 5:02 pm

What do you mean?😅

• Josh Grisdale

July 5, 2022 at 5:15 pm

That they did not bring your wheelchair right away and you had to wait. I hear about it happening often in the UK, but never had an issue in Japan…

• maria

July 6, 2022 at 6:17 pm

That is quite random, at least in the countries I have visited. Sometimes they bring it, sometimes they don’t. Typically they have to though.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
      July 7, 2022 at 10:22 pm

I see. Well, good to know that it might be best to avoid connections without much time between flights!

• Nomad Traveler

July 16, 2022 at 6:40 pm

Maria I totally agree.It is very random and your luck literally comes into play.My dad has to go through this process every time he flies.Just that he keeps his fingers crossed for a smooth transition.

Skip to content