Mt Fuji from Fujikawaguchiko

• Mt Fuji from Fujikawaguchiko

Posted by Bren on February 17, 2024 at 10:20 am

We are glamping at Fujikawaguchiko because I thought it was close to Mt Fuji. But, it looks like at least a 3 hour train trip one way to reach the ropeway. Has anybody travelled from Fujikawaguchiko to Mt Fuji? I am confined to a wheelchair with paralysis. Thanks.

Bren replied 2 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Chica

February 17, 2024 at 11:22 am

Hi Bren, obv I don’t know where in Fujikawaguchiko you will be but your first thought was right, it is close to Mt Fuji panoramic ropeway. Just picking a random spot, say Fujikawaguchiko Town Hall, it is less than a 10 min taxi ride to the base of the ropeway. I have previously stayed in Kawaguchiko and that is midway between Fujikawaguchiko & the ropeway.

Hope you manage to make it because it is absolutely stunning! I stayed in a small hostel in Kwawaguchiko & was lucky enough to wake up one morning with a clear view of Mt Fuji 😍

• Bren

February 18, 2024 at 12:29 pm

Beautiful. Sounds like it will be best to catch a taxi or Uber. I looked at trains and buses, but they indicate a much larger round-about-trip. Thank you.

• Bren

February 18, 2024 at 12:47 pm

We are staying at Sweet Glamping Kawaguchiko 4947-1 Katsuyama, Fujikawaguchiko, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi 401-0310, Japan . Hopefully it’s not too far out.

• Chica

February 18, 2024 at 6:37 pm

Hi Bren, just FYI, while the Uber app does work in Japan, regular Uber cars don’t really exist in Japan (except for airport transfers). Which means you’re really just using it for Uber Taxi but the app adds an additional surcharge to the standard taxi fare. So if you’re able, get your accommodation to order you a taxi. Enjoy!!

• Bren

February 20, 2024 at 5:24 pm

Good to know. Thank you.

• schroth-sensei

February 19, 2024 at 11:37 am

Hello Bren,

I couldn’t find your hotel exactly but the one in the attached image seems to be it. According to Google it’s only about 36mins using the local buses and on foot. I have used the buses in this area, and they are accessible, inexpensive, and may be easier than finding an accessible taxi in the area. They run often in different directions throughout the day, if possible I’d recommend having a smartphone with a mobile data plan (sim card rental) so you can use a map app to find nearby buses if you do decide to use them.

Here is a previous post that I shared some information recently about the Buses in Kawaguchi area that you may find useful when exploring the area.

I hope that helps,

-Justin

• Bren

February 20, 2024 at 5:23 pm

That’s a big help thank you! It’s not the place we’re staying, but I think it’s at the same intersection in the road. Great to know the buses are accessible. Do you have to let them know in advance that I need an accessible one?

• schroth-sensei

February 21, 2024 at 1:53 pm

The city buses should all be accessible, sightseeing buses often are not (although the Red-Line, Green-Line, and Blue-Line buses are called sightseeing buses, they are also regular accessible city buses). If you don’t have an issue riding in accessible buses where you’re from, you probably won’t have issues here (personally, the rides around the area were very smooth, definitely better than any I’ve had States-side).
      All you need to do is make sure when you’re at a bus stop to sit in a vary obvious location so the bus driver see you on arrival (this may be near the front of a bus, but that’s not where you’ll enter). Usually first they will offload any passengers that are disembarking at that location, then speak with you/your caregiver about where you’re going (it is good to have ready a written down location name or it visible on your phone). Then before allowing others on they typically load wheelchairs after placed a ramp, you’ll load using the door in the middle of the bus (as seen in the attached picture of a green-line bus to Lake Saiko). Once you’re settled in, your caregiver can handle paying the fare when they load everyone else in the front, in my case we used Pasmo IC cards, my caregiver touched both our cards to the ic touch pad when boarding and again when exiting to pay.

• alliejay

February 21, 2024 at 6:12 am

Bren, another thing to consider for amazing views of Mt. Fuji is the path along lake Kawaguchi. I use a manual wheelchair and we had no trouble along that path so it was easy to get some stunning (weather permitting) photos too.

• Bren

February 24, 2024 at 4:11 pm

Thank you. That is very helpful.

• Bren

February 24, 2024 at 4:08 pm

Thank you. Will make sure we check it out.

Skip to content