Reply To: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

• duxinco

January 12, 2020 at 3:53 am

You know, I do not recall ever seeing a public restroom (in the Zona Romantica and Centro), and I never used a bathroom beside our hotel (which has ZERO rooms designed to be Accessible). My husband and eldest who did use bathrooms while we were out said the ONLY handicapped Accessible stall they saw was in the airport — none of the restaus offered Accessible facilities.

We stayed in a nice hotel (Los Arcos Suites) in Zona Romantica (and we were shocked how kinda dumpy it is — when we entered my husband and I said “we could totally go for a Marriott about now”) and it does not have rooms designed for any kind of disabilities. They do have three ground-floor suites (we stayed in their largest), and that was convenient. They do have an elevator but it doesn’t access all the floors. Closer to the airport are some big resorts (and a bunch of enormous resorts are about 45 minutes – 1 hour north on the Bay) and they might have Accessible rooms. That wasn’t an option for us as we like to stay right in the thick of things, and staying in those all-inclusives is a) not us and b) would’ve required a taxi to get down to the historic parts. However, if someone really wants to go to PV that might be the thing to do: stay in one of those and take occasional day trips into Centro and Zona Romantica.

But I just want to share with others here how difficult we found Puerto Vallarta, and in a way we have it a bit easier (in a horrible way) because of the profundity of our Angel’s I/DD has resulted in bladder / bowel incontinence which puts him in a diaper we parents take care of, just like an infant. So we never have to worry about Accessible toilets / bathing / sinks. There are tons of airbnbs / vrbos there in PV, but I have no idea about their bathrooms, of course.

It’s been years (maybe nine) since we went to the Mayan Riviera but I suspect it (Cancun – south, maybe not Tulum, though) is MUCH more Accessible. I know the Coba and Chichen Itza complexes are wheelchair Accessible (though have no clue about toilets). 

I LOVE the Mexican history, handicrafts, culture(s), so this trip doubly (triply?) bummed me out. I don’t want to dissuade anyone from going, but I do want others to be a bit more prepared than we were: many, many blocks had steps in the sidewalk, insanely angled ramps, and a culture which isn’t as helpful as one would hope (given the physical impediments). But if others do go and either rent a condo in Centro / ZR or stay in one of the humongous resorts, please do share your experiences there!

Skip to content