Traveling to South Africa with an electric wheelchair

• Traveling to South Africa with an electric wheelchair

Posted by Kamil on September 17, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Hi! As traveling with an electric wheelchair can be more challenging (because for example you cannot lift it on steps etc.), I would like to ask which city would you recommend to visit when visiting South Africa for the first time? Has any city accessible public transport, as this is the most important part for me?

Kamil replied 5 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • accessiblesouthafrica

September 17, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Hi Kamil, I am based in Cape Town, South Africa and my son uses an electric wheelchair and we manage most places… Obviously there are a lot of places that do also pose challenges… So you are welcome to check with me when you are ready to start planning an itinerary. We have the MyCiti bus which is wheelchair accessible and has a number of routes around the city, you’d just need to check their routes on their website when planning your itinerary. We also have Uber Assist, but we haven’t tried with our electric wheelchair yet, just the manual one. The V&A Waterfront which is a popular tourist attraction is mostly accessible with lots of great things to do… Restaurants, the Two Oceans Aquarium, the Cape Wheel, Chavonnes Battery Museum, Zeitz Mocaa Museum all being accessible. The city Sightseeing Bus also departs from the Waterfront and has a ramp onto the bus. Like I say, if you’re ready to start planning, I can go into much more detail (and will share a post soon of some more accessible places around our city to visit)

• Kamil

September 17, 2018 at 9:28 pm

Thank you so much for the reply and the information! What about the other cities? Also how you can get to the town from the airport?

• accessiblesouthafrica

September 17, 2018 at 10:13 pm

I will ask one of my team members to comment on other cities with some suggestions on where their most accessible visits were.

From the airport, there are shuttle services for travellers with wheelchairs – MLT Car Hire & Tours have just added a wheelchair accessible vehicle to their fleet, there is also Travel with Renee. If you are looking for Tour Operators, then Epic Enabled do tours for people with disabilities, including safaris in Kruger National Park. They also have an accessible guest house here in Cape Town.

I will get back to you shortly with some suggestions of things to do in other cities.

• Kamil

September 17, 2018 at 10:59 pm

Great thanks! I am a budget traveler so I am avoiding tour operators and special transport 😛

Skip to content