Scewo Wheelchair climbing stairs

• Scewo Wheelchair climbing stairs

Posted by kenigor on September 26, 2022 at 5:05 pm

A very interesting wheelchair that I saw a few years ago, I thought it was going to be just a concept but turns out it’s a real product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxf-fIubkMs

Still, I still wonder how safe is, let’s say if runs out without battery or any other bug… do we fall off?
    I’m sure the price is insane, but besides this what are your thoughts?

PS. probably you all know but JerryRigEverything Youtube channel is pretty interesting and seems they are opening a wheelchair shop soon if I’m not wrong.

schroth-sensei replied 1 year, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Carlos

September 26, 2022 at 5:22 pm

A lot of people with disabilities depend on government health insurance. Here, in the States, only the rich would be able to afford it.

A better solution would be to make the world more accessible. It should not be the responsibility of those needing access to provide it. It is the responsibility of the government, business owners, and property owners.

• schroth-sensei

September 27, 2022 at 3:42 am

I love seeing these types of chairs and it would be great to have one. However, as Carlos said, the price isn’t affordable unless you’re wealthy, plus the quoted $40,000 (assuming US$) more than likely doesn’t cover additional modifications (e.g. custom seat, custom backrest, upper body support devices, etc.) which can add up quickly. Insurance in the US also doesn’t cover stair-climbing models because the ADA laws are supposed to ensure accessibility to almost everywhere.

My personal concerns beyond the cost would be dirt/debris getting into all the extra moving parts and causing damage, as well as possibly having the power being constantly consumed to maintain 2-wheel stability.

All that being said, I hope we see both more accessibility being provided at locations around the world AND more innovation in technology so that chairs like these can have better functionality as well as produced cost effectively.

-Justin

• Josh Grisdale

September 28, 2022 at 5:31 pm

Yeah, I agree about both the cost being limiting and that facilities have a responsibility to be accessible.

But at the same time, not every place can be made accessible easily or quickly. (Thinking about the many restaurant here in Japan with only stairs that will likely be around another 20-30 years before being required to be rebuilt, or historical sites etc.). So, having alternatives in the meantime is good too.

Hopefully, they can use the profits from the expensive ones to normalize the tech (a la Tesla).

But more than either of those – it will be terrifying to go DOWN the stairs! I certainly won’t be trying that any time soon even if I could afford it. 😅

• kenigor

September 28, 2022 at 5:48 pm

I agree with you all, but I think my point was more about using this “self-balancing” mobile device.
    I think I mentioned in another thread or on Twitter if I’m not wrong: there are new buildings being constructed in Tokyo in the last few years that are not accessible at all, so I guess it’s better to create solutions than wait.
    Regardless of the price (I believe I will never be able to buy it ), I think my point was to know that sense of confidence in driving this type of 2-wheel chair. I would be terrified, for sure.

• schroth-sensei

September 29, 2022 at 2:42 am

Yeah, the 2-wheel balancing does seem a little unnerving, though I would love an auto-seat level/balancing (forward/back & left/right) on a 4-wheel chair. I currently live in a mountainous area and I often have to stop and adjust my seat angle going up/down hills, but this adjustment is only forward/back so sometimes I have to uncomfortably lean to a side as to not fall over. Hopefully an auto leveling option becomes inexpensive soon, haha or someone invents anti-gravity chair 😋.

-Justin

Skip to content