Scooter issues

• Posted by repeats on January 19, 2019 at 10:56 am

I have a scooter made by Drive, it’s been running fine til a couple of days ago, and I think the drive motor might be acting up. Now that winter is here I’ve been storing it in my Jeep Cherokee.When the temperature drops below -9 or 10 I bring in the battery and drive system, I’m starting to wonder if the cold can have that much affect on the electronics, having a disability make it hard to bring in/out of the house when I need it, thought I’d experiment with it, didn’t expect this a all, I’ve got a tech coming next week to have a look at it. Is there a brand of scooter that handles the cold better, maybe time for a change.

Sorry had to reword a little.

repeats replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • telebarryg

January 19, 2019 at 10:57 pm

Hi Repeats:

How cold are you talking? I assume you are in the USA because of the scooter brand.

My first thought would be mechanical. perhaps the grease in the bearings has stiffened up in the cold or condensation has frozen in the gearbox etc. If you run it indoors, say in a mall does it get better?

The electronics are not usually affected by cold, more likely heat will hurt them, unless their connectors are corroding from condensation etc.

If your battery is lead-acid reasonable cold won’t hurt it IF it is kept charged. if it is discharged/run down it can freeze and even burst.  So if you cannot charge it in the car you probably should take it inside. Again, corroded connectors, if the battery is good, are usually the first thing to look at.

I hope this is helpful.

Let us know what the tech says.

• repeats

January 20, 2019 at 12:21 am

Drive is available in Canada with an office an hour away, I live in Hamilton and bought it in Burlington. It’s the opposite , it runs fine at the mall for about 5-10 minutes and then things go down hill.

• gbgb

January 24, 2019 at 12:46 am

Hi Repeats:

Has you technician examined your machine yet? It would be good for the rest of us to know the result.

Thanks in advance!

• repeats

February 1, 2019 at 11:32 am

Yes he has, he seems to think it’s the transaxle slipping gears as he put it, all electrical was check and sometime double checked. I took it down south for a week and it went flawless, guess it doesn’t like the cold.

Skip to content