Reply To: query about getting around London and transport

• valentinaexplores

January 19, 2020 at 7:56 pm

Hi Susie

I lived in and around London for many years and use an electric wheelchair myself. 

You are completely correct in thinking that busses are the best mode of transport. However, all the transport in London comes with its own challenges. 

Busses can often be put “out of service” before you have completed your journey. They can also be busy at times. Good point is that one is never far away. So if you can’t access one, too busy or space being used, moments later another will arrive. 

As for the underground, this is getting better. I have been caught out in the past when the station said it was accessible, but then had to navigate steps. Many stations now have step-free access onto trains and lifts to get to and from the platform. See Transport for London website for maps and access information. You can request this in large print and audio maps too. https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12387.aspx.

I advise you to chose your time to travel. The rush hour is 7 am until 9.30 am and again from 4.30 pm until 6.30 pm. If you can avoid these times when traveling, then you will have a much nicer experience. Like many cities, London is not without its faults, but overall is a lovely place to visit and navigate using a wheelchair. Most of the museums and attractions are very accessible. I truly hope you have a wonderful trip and don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Happy travels Grinning

Skip to content