UK Government Proposes Update of Disability Equipment protections.

• UK Government Proposes Update of Disability Equipment protections.

Posted by schroth-sensei on February 5, 2022 at 4:41 am

In the end of January it was announced that the UK Government is proposing an update, as part of various aviation changes, to increase Disability Equipment protections for those flying in domestic flights. Currently such equipment is treated as baggage and in turn limits the required payout in instances of damage or loss, an amount that often won’t cover the cost of repair or replacement.

The proposed changes may allow for airline customers with disability equipment to receive enough funds to cover the repair/replacement of their mishandled gear without having to take the airline to court. In the US we have had similar laws in place for some time now, and I can say that if they weren’t there I would be more apprehensive to flying. Having my necessary mobility equipment damaged or lost with no way to get a new one unless I go into debt is a massive risk. Not to mention that when the laws went into place, the airlines began treating equipment with more care. I’ve said something similar before, but would an average airline customer find it acceptable to have their legs broken by an airline only for them to pay you some pocket change? No, I don’t think they would.

I’m glad to see changes like this proposal that advocate for fair treatment of people with disabilities (and yes, by extension their equipment). I hope soon that the UK passes this or similar laws that will make traveling for those with disabilities a more welcoming mode of transportation.

For additional information: https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/government-proposals-could-make-air-travel-easier-for-disabled-passengers/

Josh Grisdale replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 7, 2022 at 12:19 pm

That is great news – thank you for sharing!

Hopefully, having another country with rules like this will make it more likely to spread to other countries.

I wonder what happens with international flights where one country doesn’t have such laws (ie going from the UK to Japan)….

• schroth-sensei

February 7, 2022 at 1:43 pm

When it comes to US flights, I believe if you set up a trip from the US to another country and the round trip back to the US, then both flights in this case are considered as doing business with the US and are required to follow their laws in terms of damages. Although I’m not sure if round-trip is explicitly required or if it just has to have a US stop somewhere.

I do wonder if an American can make a claim against an airline in the US even if the flight that caused the damage completely took place in another country, but the airline does regular business in the US too. Can they be sued? or is it out of courts jurisdiction? …hopefully I won’t have to ever find out.

• Josh Grisdale

February 8, 2022 at 9:27 am

I’d be worried about a game of “not our fault” hot potato…

But, either way, glad to see there are more laws being written to deal with this very real problem.

Skip to content