Accessibility in Split, Croatia

• Accessibility in Split, Croatia

Posted by apieceoftravel on June 25, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

If you’re thinking about traveling to Croatia, I was recently in Split and put together a little post with tips on accessibility there.  Overall, Split is easier to navigate than the more popular destination of Dubrovnik since it has fewer stairs.  The oceanfront promenade in particular and some of the side streets bordering it were perfectly accessible.  For the old town of Split, there’s quite a bit of cobblestone and the occasional step or more.  You can get to most parts of the old town, although it can take some backtracking to go around the stairs.  However, the old town is beautiful and such a great place to meander around.

If you’d like to read more information about my observations of Split, feel free to take a look at my post, a Wheelchair Accessible Guide to Split, Croatia.

Happy Travels!

Josh Grisdale replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

June 25, 2019 at 4:43 pm

I had never even heard of Split!  Thank you for sharing!
    Even though there are only 3 toilets that are accessible, it is better than noneSweat Smile  Were they locked, or free to use for everyone?
    I REALLY wish Europe would hurry up and just pave over the cobblestone already Stuck Out Tongue Winking Eye

• apieceoftravel

June 25, 2019 at 5:16 pm

Hey Josh,

Thanks so much for your message!  Haha Split is definitely more off the tourist radar.

The accessible public restrooms had someone manning the door.  So, it always seemed to be unlocked during the day.  However, I didn’t check to see if they close at a certain time.  The restrooms are technically free to use, although a tip of around 5 Kuna (less than $1 USD) is expected for the caretaker of the bathroom. 

Uyyy yes, it would be amazing if they could do something with all that cobblestone in Europe! Relieved

• Josh Grisdale

June 25, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Anyway, very thorough review – thanks!

Skip to content