Copenhagen in a wheelchair

• wheeltravel

October 21, 2018 at 7:21 pm

We visited Copenhagen several years ago and found the city relatively flat and easy to get around. We stayed in an accessible room at the Radisson Blu Scandinavia and could walk or roll to the Tivoli Gardens, city centre and Nyhavn Harbour. We used the harbour buses to travel up an down the river. They have a ramp that deploys at each stop and are easy to roll on and off. Very cost effective way to get around. We ordered a Copenhagen card online before arrival and this gave us entry to several attractions, such as the Tivoli Gardens, and unlimited use of the harbour buses. The Round Tower or Rundetaarn is an interesting place to visit, there is a ramp that winds its way to the top of the tower and spectacular views over the city. An electric wheelchair is a must however. One pitfall that we encountered was that many of the cafes were accessed down several steps, we overcame that obstacle by eating alfresco on the pavement at the many open air cafes and restaurants. We were able to use the disabled toilets shown in Cory-Lee’s article  as they were available in many of the city and tourist areas.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    October 22, 2018 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the great input!

I heard you need a key for accessible toilets in Europe, is that true?

• wheeltravel

October 22, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Access to disabled toilets in Scandinavia varies, I remember we had to pay in Sweden but not in Denmark. Oddly enough in Barcelona this year we had to pay to visit the disabled toilet in the Basilica. We didn’t have any small change but managed to exchange some notes for coins with a fellow tourist. Toilets were free at other tourist attractions but we often had to ask for them to be unlocked. In Dubrovnik we had to pay also.

In the UK access to disabled toilets is by using a RADAR key which can be purchased from their Blue Badge scheme for 6 pounds. The toilets are locked to avoid misuse but that makes it very difficult if you are a visitor from overseas. I have read that the keys can be purchased from Boots the Chemists but when I had a look online earlier today I couldn’t find a shop that stocked the keys, but they seemed to be available to buy online, I also read they can be purchased from EBay, but haven’t investigated that avenue.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    October 23, 2018 at 2:41 pm

Wow.  @wheeltravel, great point about overseas visitors and the key in the UK.  Would you be able to post some information/questions about it in the UK Discussion?  Maybe someone there can comment on it… seems very anti-tourist!

Skip to content