The Van Gogh Museum Accessibility

• The Van Gogh Museum Accessibility

Posted by azaleeboy on April 16, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Hello,

I am a huge Van Gogh fan and really want to visit the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. On the website it seems very accessible to different visitors with disabilities!

What is the best way to get there in a power wheelchair?  The website mentions a number of different options (bus, tram), do you know if they are all accessible?

Thank you!

azaleeboy replied 6 years ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • TabiFolk

Organizer
    April 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Maybe @hfbnetherlands can answer this question?

• pauline

April 19, 2018 at 5:29 pm

Hi, I think the best way to go to the museum is by tram. Because Amsterdam has a tram system that is largely accessible. They have many updated trams that feature wheelchair friendly doors and ramps at the middle entrances. For the detail information, you could check: https://www.handiscover.com/content/tips-articles/wheelchair-accessible-amsterdam/

However, the accessibility of tram stop may be different. You can check whether a stop is accessible here: http://maps.gvb.nl/en/lijnen. I check one for you ahead: if you take tram2 or tram 5, you will stop at Van Baerlestraat, and this stop is wheelchair accessible.

• maria

April 19, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Kamil maybe you could help, as you have visited it before.

• Kamil

April 19, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Hi! I am a power wheelchair user and I visited Van Gogh Museum at the end of 2015. The museum is very accessible and I didn’t have any issue inside it. The exhibition is fantastic!

As for transport, I only used metro (very accessible – at least the stations I used) and otherwise I rolled with my wheelchair through the city. If I remember well, there is a metro station not very far from the museums square (there are some great museums gathered there), but you still need to roll a bit, which is not very difficult as the city is beautiful and wheelchair friendly.

Hope these helps!

• azaleeboy

April 23, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Thank you so much for such detailed information everyone!

Museum of the Canals also looks interesting, thank you!!

Skip to content