What to wear in Russian winter?

• What to wear in Russian winter?

Posted by stpetersburg-guide-anna on January 13, 2020 at 4:23 am

That’s actually quite a question: How to dress in winter in Saint Petersburg?” Looks like the weather change within several recent years, and instead of snowy landscapes, Leningrad region turns into snowless streets and countryside. Interestingly, some trees start blooming right before New Year, thinking that it might be spring.

However, Russia can be an unpredictable country, when comes to weather. Therefore, if you are planning your journey to Russia and Saint Petersburg, in particular, don’t forget to get warm winter apparel.

• Woolen scarf, hat and gloves: The location on the Neva river causes high humidity and periodical winds. Thus, even if the temperature is around 0 degrees, it might feel quite cold. Don’t rely on forecast a lot, trust your feelings!
    • Cozy long sweaters or waterproof coats are a must.
    • Thermal underwear: That’s what you need if temperature goes below 0. These clothes easily fit under usual jeans and shirts, so you’ll look casual and keep yourself away from cold.
    • Winter shoes, not sneakers. Apart from warmth, you will save yourself from accidental falling on ice. Get some woolen socks as well!

In case you forgot to bring some winter clothes with you, it is no problem to buy in any shopping mall of Saint Petersburg. A good shopping area will be Galeria and Nevsky stores.

Bonus! A special Russian recipe in case you actually got very cold: get a vodka shot. They say it works, so maybe worth trying 🙂

duxinco replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • duxinco

January 13, 2020 at 4:46 am

Speaking of cold-weather clothing: my teenage child (who is primarily in a chair others push for him and who is profoundly I/DD with absolute global aphasia, so no ability to understand / cooperate / do it himself) has worn for years a **fantastic** cape from Adaptations by Adrian 

(https://www.adaptationsbyadrian.com/product-p/302-315.htm) either on its own or, on really cold days, over his traditional winter coat, which is a b-e-a-r to get on / off our son. The capes cover his thighs / knees, keeping them warm and dry (from rain / snow), and its design makes it still easy for us to push his chair. The capes (we had made for him both a lighter weight rain cape as well as a deliciously sturdy winter cape) are beautifully made and very, very resilient, wash + dry like a dream (my angel is a drool machine [and I have the best, most absorbent drool bibs (which I call cravats because we are nothing if not pretentious!) custom made for him but when you’re a drool machine you’re a drool machine!]). My son also participates in hippotherapy (therapy while on horseback) and he requires two sidewalkers (to keep him balanced / on the horse), and they say they love tucking their hands under this capes to hold onto his Happy Belt (a handled gait belt he wears when riding to give the sidewalkers purchase). Now, we call these capes “Antonio Banderas” since he left acting to study fashion design with the explicit purpose of bringing back the cape to men’s fashion. We heard his delicious Spanish accent on the radio saying “there is nothing sexier than a cape,” which makes me roll my eyes a bit but whatever — all of us know what we mean when we say “grab his Antonio Banderas.”

I’ve also had thumbless mittens (https://www.adaptationsbyadrian.com/product-p/177-181.htm) made for my son because he is unable to understand “helping” by distending his thumb for a “regular” mitten. We like these because of the ease of putting them on our son, the zipper, and the length (so he cannot wriggle them off). 

We never, NEVER travel without at least his rain Antonio Banderas, and if we’re going someplace cold the winter Antonio Banderas comes with (carry-on — never in checked luggage because it’s not an item we can easily pick up on our travels).

Would love and so appreciate hearing what others wear to keep them warm which also makes their / their caregivers lives better.

Skip to content