Wheelchair Accessibility of The State Hermitage Museum in Russia

• Wheelchair Accessibility of The State Hermitage Museum in Russia

Posted by Josh Grisdale on July 13, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Hello,

I have been to exhibits from The State Hermitage Museum at my city art museum a number of times and am always amazed that I am only seeing a small fraction of the art that the museum in St Petersburg has to offer.

Obviously, I would love to go in person one day.  However, I use a large electric / power wheelchair.  Is it possible to see the museum?  If so, how much is wheelchair accessible?

Thanks!

azaleeboy replied 4 years, 11 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • TabiFolk

Organizer
    July 13, 2018 at 10:16 pm

Maybe @accessiblerussia can help answer this question?

• accessiblerussia

July 13, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Good afternoon, Josh!

The main building of the Hermitage Museum (Winter Palace) is fully accessible for all types of wheelchairs for entrance and viewing of the exhibition. Our company always includes visit to the Hermitage in the standard city tour, the program of which you can find on our official website – http://petersburg4all.com. We will be glad to assist in the organization of your visit to the cultural capital of Russia!

It should also be noted that the paintings of the Impressionists have recently been exhibited in the General Staff Building, where there are small thresholds between the halls that complicate movement. You can see them in the last photo.

WjSO0l4KwJAAUYVJ7He8KE

IMG-20180607-WA0016

• Josh Grisdale

July 14, 2018 at 5:30 pm

Good to know, you guys are very knowledgeable!

• Josh Grisdale

July 16, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice!  What is the Rusian Museum? Is it art or history?

Thanks!

• Josh Grisdale

July 17, 2018 at 10:13 am

Great, thank you soooo much!

• elenarst

June 1, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Hi! My name is Elena and we are a local tour operator in St Petersburg. A couple of days ago we hat an accessible tour to the Hermitage Museum. As it was privte the skip-the-line system went well so I just wanted to give some notes on the Hermitage admission so later on others would know them before they go.

In the museum there are two (four really but the other two are not wheel chair accessible) main entrances – from the court yard and from the river. Those who venture the court yard admission take the left wing entrance, it is equipped with a propper ramp. The manager in the museum will help you get in. The wardrobe does not have a ramp which means you need to take off the coat and give it to your tour leader so they’ll take care of it. In the museum there are a lot of people it’s better to stick to the same manager and ask to let you through the ticket control separately.

For travelers from the embankment (the one with skip-the-line) the ticket control is different but there are people to help you as well.

The museum has elevators inside so you will be able to see as much as others.

We are currently trying to adjust more museums to the accessible tours and if you have any recommendaions on logistics we’d greatly appreciate that. How much time does it take to get in and off the van? Do you need an extra person to carry the whell cheir. The tour is here https://redsun-tours.com/accessible-tour-for-disabled/

We hope to adjust it as much as possible to make the tour stress free. 32

• azaleeboy

June 1, 2019 at 7:11 pm

That looks like a great tour!

Skip to content