How accessible is the London Zoo

• How accessible is the London Zoo

Posted by mrtiesto on May 3, 2019 at 11:06 am

Hello

Is it possible to see all the exhibits as a wheelchair user?

Are there many accessible toilets at the zoo?

mrtiesto replied 4 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • TabiFolk

Organizer
    May 3, 2019 at 11:11 am

The website seems a little bit hesitant to say “yes”…

The Zoo is more than 170 years old and contains many old buildings, 12 of which are listed. However, most of the Zoo is accessible for wheelchair users and those with walking difficulties.

Land of the Lions is wheelchair friendly and has a lift available for visitors to use.

Tiger Territory is wheelchair friendly and has a lift available for visitors to access the higher viewing platform.

The Aquarium has wheelchair access via an entrance to the left of the main doorway.

The historic Lubetkin penguin pool (listed Grade 1) has limited viewing for wheelchair users and very small children.

The paths are generally tarmac and there is level or ramped access to most buildings. We should also add that the slopes leading to the two tunnels in the Zoo are rather steep.

There are four wheelchair accessible toilets: Opposite B.U.G.S , Next to the Aquarium, Near main entrance next to vulture aviary, The Terrace Restaurant

Perhaps @weekender has some information as he likes zoos.

• azaleeboy

May 3, 2019 at 11:16 am

The zoo put out a good video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph07ar8pTwA

• weekender

May 4, 2019 at 10:31 pm

I haven’t been to London Zoo yet, but I have been a member for a couple of year! 🙂

I can’t say it is fully accessible but I would imagine these days that a large proportion is; though if you are not very high (tall) in your wheelchair you may have difficulty viewing. My local zoo is Chester which has great access, they even have a ‘changing places’ toilet but I find that my height in my wheelchair sometime gives me difficulty seeing over the barriers, and the lower viewing windows for children in pushchairs are too low!!! 🙂

Last year I visited zoos in Spain and Germany and found their barriers less restricting.

• mrtiesto

May 7, 2019 at 9:53 am

Thanks for the info!

Skip to content